Friday, May 30, 2014

NEVER Apologize For What You Read or What You Write! #IntellectualFreedom #ProudReader #ProudWriter

It started out as a worry. This will not surprise those who know me.

I worry often and about everything. This particular night I was worrying about what people would think if I wrote something totally fluffy. Would they like it? Would they hate it? Should I apologize for wanting to write fluff? I should apologize! I should get on Facebook and APOLOGIZE!

"Dear Facebook friends and fans...I'm so sorry this story isn't Sweet Giordan or Most Beautiful Words--it's JUST going to be fluff."

I started to write the apology six or seven times in different ways over the course of several days. I bit my nails to nubs. I fretted. I made myself sick over it.

And then, while writing another incarnation of the apology, this came out of me instead:

Please please please don't apologize for what you write or what you read. Don't apologize for writing too much sex or not enough, for changing genres and styles, for following your heart story to story. You are amazing, and your intellectual freedom is amazing!

As a library lady, I promote intellectual freedom all the time. READ WHAT YOU WANT AND NEVER APOLOGIZE! So why wouldn't this translate to writing? I shouldn't be--and I will not be--sorry for chasing the story that's on my mind. That may be angst angst angst or it may be cotton candy. Hell, it could be a combination of both! (Black cotton candy?)

I would not stand for ANY author apologizing for their story, why would I let myself get away with it?

Listen. Really listen. You are amazing. You are unique. You are an author or a reader or both. Your preferences are your own. Your loves are valid.

DO.
NOT.
APOLOGIZE.

FOR THIS.
EVER.


Proudly me,
Raine O'Tierney


16 comments:

  1. Exactly! You go Raine. You are speaking to me loud and clear! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd better be write, write, writing, Rachel! <3

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful post! I feel your words, really I do. My next book is NOT a fantasy (like all my others), and it's pretty fluffy (I think) and... well, who knows, right? The thing is, I had a hell of a great time writing it. :) The writing experience matters. When you have a muse who's banging the pans, follow that muse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tali, I want to wrap you in ALL the hugs! And you know what? Even though I'm already a huge Tali fan--I'm even MORE excited just because you said you enjoyed writing it. That ALWAYS shows--when the words flow, it shows. Your story is going to be AMAZING! <3

      Delete
  3. I SO SO SO need to keep this in mind. I printed the original fb post out and stuck it on my bulletin board over my desk but I am thinking I might need to just have a copy of "Don't apologize for what you write." And put it up on one of my monitors. (I have 3) I have "Write the story that needs to be written." on one. And that helps, a lot, to remember that if one of the guys tells me he's a Dom, then dammit, I need to just go with it. On my second monitor is Chuck Wendig's "FINISH YOUR SHIT!" to remind me to get my butt in gear and just *write*. I think this will go nicely at the top of my third monitor, yes. :)

    Thanks, darlin'. I, too, needed to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urg, also, this is Grace (though it didn't show UP as Grace, though why I have NO idea. O.o)

      Delete
    2. (*___*) To inspire something that goes on Grace Duncan's monitor along with those other AMAZING quotes (love Write the story that needs to be written and love-love Chuck Wendig!) is...I just... #HAPPY#

      Delete
    3. Well, it's a great line! *grins* Glad to be of service. *tips hat* ;)

      Delete
  4. Thank you. This is wonderful and I needed to see this too. I've recently branched out into writing m/m. My first m/m novel turned out to be a beautiful love story and was immediately snatched up by Dreamspinner Press but I find myself squirming now and then when my narrow-minded relatives or co-workers ask me what I write. I constantly struggle agains the urge to justify if not apologize for my book and it never fails to piss me off - at myself and others. I'M NOT ASHAMED OF MY WORK - DAMN IT! I shouldn't have to be but I appreciate the reminder now and then. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. You so hit the nail on the head! Why apologize for our tastes? Why apologize for our stories? I'm finding that being a writer means being brave every single time you sit down to start typing. It doesn't seem like it should, does it? :o But it can be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY. To even BEGIN writing, I first have to bolster all my courage and tackle the keyboard like a lionheart. Never mind submitting, edits, reviews, promo, and the expectations of readers. You are 100% right. "Bring a writer means being brave every single time you sit down to start typing!" (I LOVE that quote by Hollis!)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your kind reply. :) I'm glad it made sense. After I commented, I felt like I'd just started rambling, lol. //hugs//

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this! I think we all need the occasional reminder to be as kind to ourselves as we are to others. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so incredibly hard to be kind to myself sometimes (as I imagine many people do...) We wouldn't stand for anyone talking to someone else the way we speak in our heads--why do we allow it? You're AMAZING Charley <3

      Delete
  7. This is the kind of great post that needs to be more popular, Raine! It's upsetting to see the book community fighting with itself about what books are "right" to read. Do you think they will ever get along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so :) We all need to worry a whole heckuva lot less about what other people are doing and focus on what we enjoy--writing, reading, etc. <3

      Delete